Introducing The Best Expandable & Lightweight Garden Hose Reviews
For those who love gardening, having the right kind of garden hose is a must. It is an essential tool especially if you are maintaining your garden’s life. Now there are plenty of garden hoses out there; some are for heavy duty while there are those that are used for some light garden watering.
If you are looking for a garden hose to help you with your daily garden tasks then you must know what the best ones are.
What is a Garden Hose?
By definition, a garden hose is also known as a hosepipe or flexible tube that is used in conveying water. It is usually attached to sprinklers and sprayers with a special attachment to help concentrate water in an area. Most of the time, you will find hoses attached to a tap or spigot.
What is a Garden Hose Made of? What You Need to Know
A garden hose is usually made of synthetic rubber or a soft plastic. It is then reinforced with internal fibers that are designed to form like a web. With this material, garden hoses are made flexible and the exterior surface of the hose is designed to be durable so it can pass through rocks, plants, soil, trees and the likes with ease.
They are also made to survive any scraping from concrete surfaces or stones and even being stepped on without getting damaged right away.
Garden hoses are not really designed for hot water and leaving them unattended under the hot sun while under pressure can cause them to burst. They can, however, carry potable water as they are made with NFS international-listed polymers which are pretty safe for water.
Types of Garden Hoses
Perhaps some of you don’t know but there are actually two types of garden hoses used. They can be lightweight or heavyweight depending on where you are going to use them.
- Lightweight or Light Duty Garden Hoses – these are typically made from vinyl and are usually reinforced with multiple plies or mesh so that it can kink easily. They also have plastic fittings that come in thinner diameters but are sold at a lower price range. If you want to use something within your budget but won’t be using a garden hose often then this is the best option to take. You can find these easily in your local home improvement depot or garden stores and are perfect for light duty uses.
- Regular or Heavy Duty Garden Hoses – these are usually made of thick rubber and comes with nickel-plated brass couplings. They are also flexible and can withstand all types of weather and can be used both hot and cold water.
There are also other types besides the light and heavy duty ones. These are not usually used but it is still important to know what they are so you know what kind of garden hose you will need in the future. They are as follows:
- Coiled Hoses – these are usually formed in a tight spiral which can be pulled together when you are not using it. They come in 15 to 25 ft. in length and are only about ½ inch or smaller in diameter. Coiled hoses are stored in a hose reel as they can tangle if not properly kept. They are used best in smaller areas and hand watering plants in your patio or balcony.
- Flat Hoses – these are similar to the ones used by fire fighters but are generally much lighter compared to a fireman’s hose. They can be easily rolled up and are self-draining. They are also easy to store as they take lesser space. Storing them in a hose reel may not be a good idea but you can always roll this up. Flat hoses are also flexible and are usually made of vinyl. However they puncture easily and have lower burst pressure rating. They are not recommended for garden use.
- Soaker Hose – this is usually used for irrigation in your garden. They are made of recycled rubber or plastic and are designed with porous walls. Water comes out of these holes when the water is turned on thus allowing the water to seep through the surrounding soil of your garden. They can be directly placed on the ground or buried underneath. They are usually used in large vegetable beds where they are buried around 6 inches or more. Soaker hoses are usually shorter in length which makes them suitable to be buried on the ground.
Now that you know the different types of garden hoses, it’s best to think about what you need for your garden. In this article we will focus more on the lightweight and heavy duty garden hoses so you know which ones to get in case you decide to have one for your garden.
5 Best Garden Hose To Buy (Lightweight and Heavy Duty)
For those who are looking for a garden hose but might not use them all the time, the lightweight garden hoses are perfect. Here are some of the best lightweight garden hoses for you to choose from:
1. Flexzilla Garden Hose, 5/8 in. x 50 ft (best lightweight garden hose)
Another great product belongs to Flexzilla. This garden hose is designed to be weather-resistant and can withstand -40 degrees to 150 degrees F. What’s even better is that it’s abrasion resistant and does not coil easily.
It comes with anodized aluminum that has both male and female fitting. It can work up to 150 PSI of working pressure and is designed to be kink-resistant, thanks to its inner rib core design.
- It’s kink-resistant.
- It can withstand any types of weather.
- It’s soft yet flexible compared to other types of garden hoses.
- It’s lightweight so you can easily drag it around.
- It does not scratch easily.
- It can withstand high water pressure.
- Customers complained about black molds forming around the hose which cannot be removed or bleached.
- It does not coil easily which makes it hard to roll the hose when not in use.
- The rubber material used hardens over time.
2. Water Right 400 Series Garden Hose (best expandable garden hose)
If you are practical and want something that is not too fancy yet able to get the job then this is the garden hose you are looking for. This hose is made to be soft and flexible yet lightweight to use. It is also designed to be slim so you don’t have to worry about its bulkiness.
It is safe to use for drinking water too as it is NSF and FDA certified which means it is odorless and tasteless compared to hoses made out of pvc or vinyl. It also contains no lead, Phthalates or BPA which means it is very safe to use for drinking water. It is also designed with industrial grade chrome-plated brass that you can use.
This brass is also lead-free, crush-resistant and non-tarnishing making it even better. The Water Right 400 is flexible in all types of weather so you don’t have to worry about using it in extreme weather all year through.
- It’s lightweight and flexible.
- It only weighs about 3 lbs. so you know it’s easy to use.
- It’s engineered to prevent kinking or twisting when in use.
- It does not crack easily so there are no leaky connections.
- It can carry about 5 gallons of water flow per minute.
- It’s designed to be around 100ft. so it definitely has kinks along the way.
- It’s smaller in person compared to its description.
3. LawnPRO 50’ Expanding Garden Hose
For our first hose, you can check out LawnPRO 50. This product is made with 5,000 Denier woven wrap which makes it stronger than any type of expanding hose. It is also designed with solid copper fittings and steel assembly clamps.
It weighs around 2.5 lbs. so it’s easy to lift and store. It is also designed to be kink-free so you don’t have to worry about it twisting. The manufacturer gives 12 month warranty for the customers.
- It does not kink easily.
- It’s easy to use and store.
- It has strong fittings.
- It works great for light garden watering.
- It can be bundled together with no problems.
- Most customers complained about the hose bursting after a few uses.
- It also leaks.
- It doesn’t expand as advertised.
- The brass ends are faulty.
4. iZEEKER 50ft Flexible Expandable Garden Hose Reel
If you are in need of lengthy garden hose then you can get this one from iZEEKER. This hose is designed to be 50 feet so you can use this in any part of your house. It is made with durable and expandable materials that are made with dual layer latex and internal protective film.
It comes with solid brass end that does not break easily. It doesn’t kink, twist and tangle so you know that you can use this hose with ease.
- It’s compact and lightweight.
- It can be easily stored after use.
- It can expand at least three times compared to other types of garden hose.
- It expands quickly.
- It can drain water fast.
- It does not leak, kink or tangle.
- It’s made with strong latex core.
- It cannot withstand extreme weather conditions.
- It leaks or burst easily if not handled properly.
5. Ohuhu 100 Feet Expandable Garden Hose BONUS A 8-pattern Sprayer Nozzle, 2016 Newest Design
If you want to water your garden with style then you will like this garden hose from Ohuhu. It is designed with a snake-shape design which decreases the friction and wear in the outer and inner hose. It also makes the inner hose last longer compared to other types of hoses.
It’s very lightweight so anyone can use it; even your small children. It has a length of 33 ft so it’s easier to drag around as it is not too long or too short to use. This garden hose comes with solid brass ends with sealing rings so water cannot leak easily once it is used.
The inner hose is made with 100% natural latex so it’s safe and reliable to use. It also comes with a nozzle spray that you can adjust to 8 different patterns.
- It does no kink, twist or tangle easily.
- It is made with durable materials.
- It is not too bulky to use.
- It’s easy to store.
- It’s designed with awesome colors and fully functional spray.
- It’s easy to use.
- It’s not long enough compared to other hoses so it cannot reach more than 40 feet.
- It leaks from the spigot attachment.
How to Find the Right Kind of Garden Hose
Have you noticed how hard it is to shop for items these days? You are presented with various options and everything seemed to be the “one” you need. Confusing, right? However it doesn’t have to be. When you are shopping for a garden hose, there are only a few things you need to remember so you don’t get confused. These are as follows:
- Know the material it is made of – are you looking for something that is going to be used exclusively in your garden? Are you planning to use something that is safe for drinking water? With the variety of hoses in the market, it’s easy to be confused but to avoid that; you need to check out the materials that the hose is made of. If you are not going to use it often then find something cheap. A garden hose made with pvc or vinyl is ideal; if you want something that can be used for drinking as well then avoid ones that are made with the latter materials. If you don’t know then ask for assistance. Shopping for garden hose will be a lot easier by then.
- Know the length – there are short hoses and long ones. If you only have a small yard then something around 30 feet can work but if you have a wide garden then buying something around 50 feet to a 100 can do the trick.
- Know what is in demand/popular brands – in demand garden hoses are usually ones that work well for customers. See if you can find something that fits the description and compare it to other brands so you can narrow down your choices.
- Know the type of garden hose you need – are you in need of a flat hose? How about lightweight? Do you need something heavy duty? Listing down the type of garden hose you want will be a lot easier to determine on what type you should buy.
- Know the most recommended – if you don’t have any experience in buying a garden hose then ask for advice. Nothing is wrong with asking for an opinion. This will give you better options to look at when shopping.
Buying a garden hose should not be a problem as there are so many choices out there. However if you are to buy one, make sure that it’s the right one so you don’t waste your time and money. You must also take care of your garden hose if you want it to last longer.
It doesn’t matter how expensive or cheap your garden hose is; as long as you are careful with your things, it will last a long time. Which ones do you like best? We hope that you find this best garden hose review helpful, enjoy your shopping!